Reading books aloud to your children stimulates their imagination and expands their understanding of the world. It helps them develop fundamental speaking and listening skills and prepares them to understand the written word. So, why not try?
- Ask your child to choose their favourite story book. They’ll feel more interested in the story if they’ve picked it out themselves.
- Turn off the TV, radio and computer to minimise distractions whilst you read.
- Sit close together. You could encourage your child to hold the book and help turn the pages to promote independence.
- Take a look at the pictures. Maybe there’s something funny in the pictures that you can laugh about, or perhaps your child enjoys guessing what will happen next.
- Have fun! Don’t be afraid to act out situations or use funny voices.
Don’t have many reading books to hand?
Take a look at Storyline Online to share stories with your child: https://www.youtube.com/user/StorylineOnline/videos